Thursday, November 08, 2007

Cracker/Jason Isbell @ People's

Cracker front man David Lowery and bass player Sal Maida



Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit

The problem with going to Des Moines on a weeknight to see a band is that you are still about an hour away from home at 1:30 in the morning.

The venue was cool although crowd seemed a bit ambivalent. I think an Iowa City show would have had a better turnout but that is also what happens when you get two legitimate headliners on the same bill. There was a third band that opened, Backyard Tire Fire. They are playing at the Picador here in town tomorrow night and they played a decent set. Worth checking them out.

Jason did a great job including a goosebump inducing version of Decoration Day and an awesome cover of Van Morrison's Into the Mystic. Cracker was fun and I recommend their new album, Greenland. It was unfortunate that most of the crowd was probably their just to hear them play Eurotrash Girl and Low but it was still worth the trip and the late return. I did sleep in the next day.

How many days until No Country for Old Men hits town? New Yorker's brief take on it here.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

That is a long night. I think I'm too old for that now.

K. and I were just talking about that movie. I hope it's as awesome as it could be.

Unknown said...

Me too. I guess there is no early showing around here must wait a couple more weeks.