Tuesday, July 01, 2008

"History ... is a nightmare from which I am trying to wake."


Thanks to Paper Cuts blog for pointing out the cover of the latest Poets & Writers magazine and the classic Marilyn photo. One of my goals for this summer's reading is to get through Richard Ellman's biography of James Joyce. I recently found a hard cover copy in excellent condition at Goodwill. I love the dark blue cover embossed Joyce's name and the Brancusi's symbol for Joyce on the fronts piece. I just need to find a good beach or a 'disappointed bridge' to sit and read on. And to somehow get paid for it.

3 comments:

RipeAplomb said...

I'm still working on a 10-yr goal to finish Ulysses. I tackled Dubliners and Finnegan's Wake for last semester's BritLit course, thus fulfilling an average person's lifetime Joyce quota. If I ever finish the former, I'll celebrate with a Dublin pub crawl.

Unknown said...

I like how you phrase it tackled instead of finished. I remember perusing enough of the text and notes to pass English classes...

Churlita said...

Well, you should have no problem finding a disappointed bridge in this town, or a distressed or damaged one for that matter either.

I've resigned myself to never finishing Ulysses, but I wouldn't mind reading a decent Joyce biography.