Monday, October 27, 2008

Chicago Ten



My weekend was fairly sedate. I ended up going to the Sarah Vowell reading at the Englert on Friday night and she was funny as anticipated. I enjoyed the book especially since part of it talks about the area in Southeastern Connecticut where I grew up and where my immediate family still lives. It would have been nice to have my copy autographed but crowd was too large so we chose Indian food over a long line of gushing fans and book store owners with twenty copies of each her books. I am continuing the early American theme with the Horwitz book, A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World.

I caught the above documentary on PBS and the animated portions created from transcripts of the trail perfectly captured the circus like atmosphere. I recommend seeing it. Saturday night I got talked into playing poker at the local American Legion by a friend who had to cancel at the last minute. I stuck around anyways but didn't win anything in the tournament. I did have some fun drinking cheap beer and playing for small stakes with other tourney washouts.

Music wise I am currently cranking up the latest Lucinda Williams album. Very good and a return to form circa Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. The new record Little Honey includes guest musicians include Charlie Louvin, Elvis Costello, Matthew Sweet, Susanna Hofs and others.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

I missed you on both Friday and Saturday. That might be the only weekend in a long time I get out both nights, but who knows.

I haven't heard the new Lucinda Williams. I'll see if my brother has it, so he can burn it for me.

El Duderino said...

For the last 5 weeks I've played in a low stakes tournament on Monday nights. So far I've always made the final table but have only won the big money, ie $180, once. This week I was the bubble boy yet again, which blows big time. If you ever come back east you ought to sit in, you'd like it. We hold it at a local Irishy Pub, the crowd is cool and the poker play is sharp.