Friday, March 09, 2007

300


The title of the movie and probably the number of negative reviews it will receive. I still want to see it.

My favorite blurb is from NY Times' critic A.O. Scott, "300 is about as violent as Apocalypto and twice as stupid. " I read his whole review and while it probably is an accurate assessment it hardly matters to me if the film is excessively violent or sophomoric. It's from a comic book by Frank Miller not Herodotus. As the NY Post reviewer states in his 2 out of 4 star rating. "Its philosophical underpinnings are not freedom and courage but Itchy and Scratchy. "
I am hoping that I feel more like Richard Roeper after seeing it. "It is excessively, cheerfully violent -- and it is gorgeous to behold. It looks like the world's most sophisticated and expensive video game, and I mean that in a good way. "
I am off to go eat and catch some of the Iowa game. Later I get to help judge a high school debate tonight.

7 comments:

El Duderino said...

They let you back near high school students?

Churlita said...

We were talking about that movie at work today. What's so wrong with Itchy and Scratchy?

How did you get a job judging high school debate tournaments?

El Duderino said...

Good time at Sweeny's wish you had been there.
Check out the user reviews at yahoo.com, it seems 300 has pissed off the Persian community. who knew?

Unknown said...

I was filling in for a friend of a friend for their Public Forum portion of debate. It was fun and I was impressed by the students. We had no debate type things at our high school.

Churlita said...

I was on speech team in high school for a year. Iowa City always kicked our ass in speech and debate.

Anonymous said...

I was a founding member of the debate club at GHS - is it even possible that ANYTHING could be geekier than that?!

-miss do

p.s. - for the record I prefer the spelling of dolittle with a single "o"

Unknown said...

Dooly noted, Dolittle.