Friday, January 27, 2006


NASA has set aside the final Thursday in January as a Day of Rememberance for the Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia tragedies.

I remembered watching the Challenger explode on television after a phone call from a friend alerted me or at least I thought I did. James Oberg has piece on the myths of the Challenger disaster. This Saturday night the National Geographic Channel will have a special on the untold story of the mission marking the twentieth anniversary of the event.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11031097/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or don't you mean you remember watching it over and over again. that is what I most remember - seeing it explode repeatedly and also seeing the reaction of Macauliffe's parents over and over - happiness/excitement, to confusion then understanding and despair.

scruffylooking said...

I was moving from Big Bear Lake to San Francisco on that day. We splurged for a motel, watched the very beginning of it and then checked-out. By the time we got across the street to the gas station, the attendant told us it had exploded. Since we didn't have a TV, I don't think I've ever seen it explode. Weird.