Friday, January 05, 2007

"I'm thinkin' about my doorbell, when you gonna ring it..."

Annie Leibovitz The White Stripes, New York City, 2003

Watched PBS' American Masters bio of Annie Leibovitz the other night. It was a happy accident of channel surfing and a nice coincidence since S. had received Leibovitz's latest collection, Life in Pictures as a gift. I generally like her black and white portraits and her less dramatic work with some exceptions like the one above. There are some good places on the web to check out her American Music series. The Andrew Smith Gallery is one but the Detroit Institute of Arts has an interactive feature that is cool if you can hear the sounds.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

The woman who sits in the cubicle next to mine keeps going on and on about the Annie Liebowitz thing on PBS. She thinks I'd really like it. I'm sure she's right. Now, I'm bummed I missed it.

Unknown said...

It was good but as others pointed out she doesn't really like talking about her private life. The best parts are interviews with subjects and critics and of course the photos. I am sure they will show it again.