Friday, November 03, 2006

Buddhist Barbie


In the 5th century B.C.
an Indian philosopher
Gautama teaches "All is emptiness"
and "There is no self."
In the 20th century A.D.
Barbie agrees, but wonders how a man
with such a belly could pose,
smiling, and without a shirt.

Denise Duhamel


I swear I was only in the book store to pick up one specific book. But it caught me eye. The Warhol image, the familiar series title -The Best of American Poetry, the guest editor -Billy Collins etc... I was sold. The poem above is not from this book although she does have one in it. I was not familiar with her work and so I looked for more. Which is another reason I ending up buying the book.

I am off to go check out Robyn Hitchcock, someone I listened to back when I joined the service, at the Club Congress, a venue I visited also while I was in the Army but near the end while I was on temporary assignment at Ft. Huachucha, easily the best two months of my enlistment that weren't spent in school or on leave. I need to learn how to use commas or just get rid of them. Fuck it. Must take it relatively easy tonight as work beckons again in the morning because we are already a week behind schedule. ad astra per aspera

No comments: