Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"We're from I-o-way, I-o-way, That's where the tall corn grows."


I swear the Democrats of Iowa are blowing up my mobile like they were organized by the combined political machines of Jim Taylor, Earl Long, and Frank Skeffington. I can't wait for the election to be over. Arizona is a different political nightmare. Like California they have a ton of referendums on the ballot. So not only are you bombarded by candidates but Yes or No on a multiplicity of issues. For example there are two separate smoking propositions one favored by the non-smoking agenda and the other by bar owners etc... I do think the direct issue ballot is an underutilized option in most districts but some places tend to over do it.

TCM's theme last night was congressional movies and they picked the best. Before watching Mr. Smith Goes to Washington I caught the end of the Billy Wilder film, Foreign Affair, which also features the above pictured Jean Arthur as a Congresswoman from Iowa. Great scene in which she is drunk and goaded by Marlene Dietrich into singing The Iowa Corn Song at some dive bar in post WWII Berlin.

No comments: